Smarty Spot

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Weight Watchers

Below is a picture of me getting weighed just before the race meet yesterday. This has never happened before, and I don't want anyone to make any cracks about me just "hanging around" at the race meet yesterday!



It was ironic because after my last post Lucy left a comment asking whether I ever ate weight watchers. I couldn't imagine such a horrid thing. Then I thought to myself, well, I often do weight around and watch my owner make food -- sometimes I weight quite a while. But it's certainly not a pleasant experience. I wish she'd let me prepare my own food - I'm sure I could save her a lot of time! So then yesterday, there I was, getting weighed while everyone else watched!

Anyway, aside from that whole "hang 'em high" fiasco, it really was a fun day. In fact, one of my most favorite people showed up. His call name is George:



George runs a whippet summer camp with its own sun bathing area and running grounds. There are always a lot of other whippets to play with. When I was growing up I used to go there with my sisters... that brings back a lot of fond memories of long ago...

Well, not only was George there yesterday, but Lucy showed up too! She never goes anywhere these days without her agent, and of course Tula came along to scope out the refreshments.



My male owner was also there, although I'm not sure why. His role on my team is more in the behind-the-scenes stuff: driving me to parks and walking paths, keeping me mentally focused during the off season, public relations, and so forth. Perhaps he felt he needed to see how the whole operation works start to finish, and so he thought he should attend a race meet... On the other hand, it could be that he's trying to steal some of my spotlight. Here's a picture of him trying to soak up the spotlight, but Gilly was willing to help me make sure he didn't get too much of it:



Of course my racing assistant was present. And it's a good thing she was around, to get me out of that compromising position... then again, she's the one that got me into it in the first place!



I make sure my assistant joins me on all the big races. Sometimes I do a quick race without her, such as when I chase deer through the park or do practice laps around the yard. (The hardest part about the practice laps is keeping the wild, crazed look on your face; yet it's very important during races, and you need that game face on at all times.) For all the big races like this one, I like to keep her nearby in case I need something: limimnit (or whatever that stuff is called), pep talk, water, coloring books in between races, Cheetos, etc.

Her most important role is choosing a prize immediately following the race. I don't like to appear vain, so I have her accept the award on my behalf while I weight in the van. She probably gives better acceptance speeches than I would anyway.

But if I would have given a speech yesterday it would have gone like this:

"First of all I'd like to thank God. And then George, because whenever he's around fun things happen. And then Lucy, who's been with me through thick and thin...mostly thick. And finally, all the other little people who give of their time and energy to transport me, walk me, feed me, and so forth... you know who you are. And quit trying to steal my spotlight!"

1 Comments:

  • At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dear sister Smarty:
    After all is said and done, you are not only a winner in the racing world, you are my hero!! As if it isn't humiliating enough being weighed, they have to hang you in public for the whole world to see. I know a few humans who should have hung in that sling...I won't mention any names! You got back on your feet, pounded the pavement (not really pavement) and came out a winner again! Congratulations my Super Sister!
    Love,
    Lucy
    p.s. These nutty people are putting me on every scale they can find since Saturday!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home