Smarty Spot

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Smarty Rewind: More to the Story, Part Two

So I'm looking through USA Today yesterday (I know that sounds contradictory, but it's not), and I run across a story called "America crazy about breadbox on wheels called Smart car." Hey, wait a minute! I remember the Smart Car! And so should you!

I reported on the Smart Car thirteen months ago, in an October 12, 2006 scoop entitled "Smart Mobile." Nevertheless, there is no mention of my name or my story in USA Thirteen Months Ago's "original" piece.

Just to prove my point, I went deep down into the archives to find my original post. I had to venture into the crawl space (we don't have a basement), fight through the cobwebs and dust, and pull the story off an old roll of microfilm. But I did it, just so you can see - again - the whole story.

Serving as a media "watchdog" sure takes time and effort!

Anyway, here you have it, from the archives:


SMART MOBILE
by Smarty
October 12, 2006 (see??)

Have you ever Googled your own name? Be honest. Sometimes it turns up interesting information.

Sometimes it can be downright scary.

Here's what I found when I Googled my name: someone has designed something called the Smart Car. Now, you might think the name is a coincidence (although, c'mon, how common a name is "Smarty"?) -- but you won't think it's a coincidence when you see this photo:



It's small. It's red. It's buff(ed). And it's called the "Smart" car.

I hope they give me royalties.

But actually, I'm thinking something more sinister is afoot. They are only making these in Europe right now... but I suspect they'll show up here soon - at our race meets!

This is totally unfair. If you look closely it's obvious these are "non-pedigree."


On the other hand...



It just might be that they can't keep up with the real thing anyway!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smarty:
    The Smarty car is used in Italy (so I hear...I didn't get to go)!
    I wonder how the Italians take their whippets racing?
    Love,
    Lucy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home