Smarty Spot

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Postcard from Camp George


Dear Scoche,

Greetings from Camp George! As always, it’s been a great time!

I must say, though, it’s been different than I expected. The brochure for the winter session promised snowball fights, hot chocolate, sledding, and building a snow fort.

However, the snow machine apparently isn’t working at Camp George so we had to make do with our normal summer activities: running around like hooligans, drinking water from a communal bowl, and eating pizza.

I also had fun playing Scrabble. I was unofficially on George’s team. Have you ever played this game? It’s very fun. You get points for making the best words.

I noticed that George was only five letters away from having the word “whippet.” This word would use all seven letters and get 50 bonus points! So as you can see, whippet is one of the best words (it’s a very dog-friendly game). Unfortunately, I was caught on camera whispering this to George which is, according to straight laced follow-the-rule types, “cheating.”



I don’t call it cheating, though, I call it helping which is also a 7-letter word worth 50 bonus points. Then you can add a w to the front and make “whelping”! (Speaking of which, mom, you still you haven’t told me where puppies come from – and you promised you would when I was old enough!)

I proposed another strategy later in the night. I told George that if he would just wait until he had the letters s, m, a, r, t, y, s he could spell “Smarty Spot” as soon as someone else put down the word pot. (See? You just add smartys to pot!) Who knows how many points that would be worth! Probably a billion! But, unfortunately, George didn’t take me seriously even though I argued my case...for a while...


Apparently he’s not patient enough to adopt my winning strategy. He was just lucky I didn't offer my talents to his friends who were playing against him. But, even though we have our disagreements, George and I are actually pretty good friends.

Well, anyway, I need to get going now. The other dogs are starting a game of Life and they want my help… but I'm not sure I can give much help with this game until we have that little talk…

Make sure you don’t eat my food! When in doubt, save some for me!

Bye for now!

Your daughter,
Smarty

2 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smarty,

    It looks like George is having more fun that you are. Why isn't it called Camp Smarty when you're there?

    Love,
    Holly

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Sis!
    In my opinion, summer sports are more fun anyway! The canoe in the postcard looks like a blast!
    In all honesty,I much prefer eating pizza and playing Scrabble to getting my beautiful feet wet in that horrible snow! Snow is cold, wet, and messy! Snowballs are only fun when they are thrown in the opposite direction of where you are!
    I hope to visit Camp George in the spring! Maybe we can plan a trip together?
    Luv ya,
    Lucy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home