Smarty Spot

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Reporting for Duty


Sorry I haven't been able to write as much lately, but we've been very busy. After a long crate ride, we made it to Virginia once again. For this vacation, the owners brought a lot of their stuff! I guess they were tired of going back and forth for so many things. You'd think that if they wanted to bring this much stuff with them they'd just move here. But hey, what do I know, I'm just the whippet.

In any case, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but someone seemed to drive away with the truck that they brought everything in! They gave the guy some money, apparently to run and get some lunch or beach gear, and he just got in the truck and off he went! I have no idea how they're going to get all this stuff back to New Jersey, but I for one can't spare any of my crate space. While the crate may be an example of "modest elegance," truth be told it's not really the most spacious way to travel... though from what I hear it offers more leg room than your average airline.

So anyway, we've all been kept busy. We can't visit the beach until we get all our stuff put away, so we've all had to pull our weight in the unpacking process. Since I only weigh about 30 pounds, I figured I've done my share, but still no beach. (FYI, I still haven't found my surfboard - Lucy, did I leave that with you??)

So the way I've kept busy is by patrolling the back yard...


I keep a close eye out for predators. I've actually seen quite a few squirrels, which assures me that my work is not in vain. Maintaining security is a tiring job, as you can tell from this next picture...



Yes, that's Scoche for you - laying down on the job!

What's tiring about the job is actually the reporting process. Every time I see something of note, I rush back inside to tell the owners -- but, of course, I need them to let me in. Talk about bureaucratic red tape! And then every time they hear me sound a warning signal - for example, a bark or a low guttural whine - they have to come to the door and shout at the perpetrators. I'm not sure they've figured out who the perpetrators are, because they usually direct their messages at me and expect me to handle things from there.

So as you can tell, this is less of a vacation and more like a new job. But hopefully we'll get to the beach soon!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smarty - You're a very intelligent whippet; I'm sure you can handle the job! And don't offer to share crate space - things would take over, and you'd have no room at all.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smarty,

    After a long crate ride, I made it to Connecticut and stayed here. Maybe you should speak with your humans. Humans do something that's called a "permanent move".

    Have fun at the beach!

    Love,
    Holly

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Smarty,

    I read an article about whippets in The New York Times today, and your owner was quoted. Why did the reporter speak to her instead of you? You're the whippet authority.

    Love,
    Holly

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my...is that your surfboard? I have been using it to cross train for agility class! We will have to visit and bring it back to you.
    Love,
    Lucy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home