Smarty Spot

Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Second 4th of July

Yesterday was the 4th of July here at our new home. I consider myself American, although I actually have dual citizenship: the USA and the Animal Kingdom. And this becomes a triple citizenship if you then consider the fact that there are two Americas.

For example, in one America you get to come and go as you please, playing with paint and shovels and dirt and all sorts of cool stuff. In my America you "celebrate" your "independence" by being confined to the backyard instead.


This wouldn't have been so bad, but I stuck there in America #2 with Scoche, who insisted on making a continual fuss about it. She tried to play dead to get the owners' attention, but - as they usually do when decisive action is required - they just thought it was an opportunity for a picture...


Before you get worried, though, you should know that we were eventually let inside...after the festivities. But then we were placed in solitary confinement! Well, not quite solitary - I was with Scoche, again - but binary confinement can be unfair too.

Later, the other America went off to a nice barbecue and, I assume, to see fireworks... while those of us in America #2 could only drink lukewarm water and listen to the fireworks.

But you know, as I think about it, not only are there two Americas -- there are two animal kingdoms! The dog park we've been going to lately is a confined, fenced area... and we're forced to wear our collar and leash when we venture outside this "gated community." Meanwhile, the squirrels run around wild and free. And don't think they don't rub it in.

So does this mean I have quadruple citizenship? Boy, politics can be confusing.

And I still haven't even told you about my imagi-nation yet. In that nation, I have a dream... a dream that one day we'll all be free...


Happy 4th of July ... from the rest of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home