Smarty Spot

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sad Animals


They say to count your blessings. What if you don't have any?


That's when you have to remember those less fortunate than you. But I don't know anyone less fortunate than me! There are two reasons for this: First, it's hard to get to know your neighbors when you can't see over the fence. Second, my own feelings are so forceful that they demand all my attention and energy; I'd love to show compassion and empathy, believe me, but it's all I can do to control my own emotions! They're exhausting.

Fortunately my owner helps me to understand the plight of others to help keep everything in perspective.

The other day he took me here...


It smelled nice. It has my name, or at least most of it, on the building. But... Boy was this an eye-opening experience!

Not only was animal cruelty fully sanctioned here, and even celebrated, under the thin veil of "pet grooming." But I saw things like this there...


Do you see that?? These are low fat dog treats! How can the words "low fat" and "treats" be used in the same sentence? What poor animals have committed crimes worthy of punishment like this?

And that wasn't all. Right next to the "Pork Earz" and "Mammoth Bones" - perfectly healthy, normal appetizers - were something called guilt free treats. Guilt free treats? That's like saying "treat free treats"!

With treats like these, who needs enemies?

It all became very clear to me... There really are some animals out there who are truly sad. Probably in need of intensive, professional mental health care in fact. I feel like I've received treatment myself--this whole experience was like "shock therapy"!

Here's what my owner bought me:


Mmmm... Fat... Guilt... Buy one get one free... Yes, I think I see my blessings more clearly now!

In fact, could I have another one of those blessings while we're on the subject?



(Actually, since it's "buy one get one free" maybe I'll take two. Or four...)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Smarty,

    Your blog usually provides food for thought, but this one made me hungry! Those Aussie Wraps look yummy.

    Oh, back to you...Smarty, I think your problem is that you have SO many blessings that it's just hard to know where to begin to try to count them.

    Also, a trampoline in the back yard would let you see over the fence.

    Love,
    Holly

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Ken said…

    A trampoline sounds like a very good idea for Smarty. That might cheer her up quite a bit!

    Why didn't we think of that?

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My sweet sad sister:
    You have blessings much larger than snacks. Whippet does not live by bread alone!
    After all, a super duper store is named after you. When I go to PetSmarty, I will be sure to brag that it's named for my SisterSmarty!
    Love,
    Lucy

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Smarty said…

    Though you have a Peanuts character named after you. How cool is that??

    Smart

     

Post a Comment

<< Home