Smarty Spot

Friday, July 13, 2007

Run of the House

I'm the first to admit my mistakes. This is because no one else notices them - they're subtle. And also, my mistakes are generally not my fault.

Take for example the squirrel situation around here. They have been emboldened lately, and part of the responsibility lies squarely with me: I've let them get away with far too much, because my owners don't let me out the door quickly enough; the deck is too slippery; and society in general has created a situation that is not condusive to solving the problem.

So, yes, I am a little bit embarrassed when I slip past the deck steps, fall down the stairs, and splash onto the little stone pebbles beneath. I admit it's not the most elegant performance. And hearing the squirrels laugh...well, that's frankly uncalled for.

So I was thinking, what if I master a new art - the art of delegation? I thought that would be cool, because I assume you get your own throne and servants.

So I got a throne... one that will keep me from slipping around on the deck:


And I got a servant for patrolling the yard:


Scoche did pretty well. Her technique is admittedly more understated than mine. There was a quiet elegance in her style, resulting in an almost mythical stillness, a harmony of nature.


But you know, I kind of missed the excitement of the sliding and tumbling, the noise of the rocks and scurrying woodland creatures, the laughter, the applause, the Big Finish...

Which only goes to show, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!

Let me at 'em!!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go get'em, Smarty! Whichever style you choose, I'm on your side.

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Sis:
    I might try a ladder for those little buggers in the trees.
    Love,
    Lucy, who will always take the path of least resistance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home